Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Kerny's Birthday in the City

Kerny's summer city trip, round 2. 
She came once in June and she came back for her end of the summer Birthday bash and we had a GREAT time!
She arrived in the city at the stroke of midnight on her actual birthday and we ventured out the next morning for tickets to Broadway's 'Bring it On: The Musical' since I knew she'd love it as much as Haley and I had. At lunch, I came to visit her and brought her a black and white cookie and we took a bite out for my Aunt Melissa since they're her favorite. After work, I found Kerny in the park and we had lunch at one of her local favorite restaurants. If she isn't at home, Kerny is almost always in the park.
We quickly changed (I into my new bright neon pants from Seon) and headed to meet Laura for the show. Kerny went bright too. If you think about it, we were in MBK colors and how appropriate for a High School cheerleader romantic comedy musical. Dressing the part is what we do best.

My seat mates.
Yet again we had partial view front row seats so as the lights lowered, we moved to fifth row center orchestra and enjoyed our premiere $200 seats for a whopping $35 from start to finish.

Afterwards we were feeling super cheerful!

The next day Kerny had her pick of to-do's since all she'd done for her birthday was have me force her to see a show. 
Naturally, we started at Pippin.
I may have said it on here before, but this is the best vintage jewelry store in the city.
Hands down.
Kerny loves it.
The pink drawer in the clip-on earrings dresser at Pippin. They have a drawer for every color under the sun. It's glorious!
We decided to walk over to artichoke for some tasty goodness and take it to Highline Park to eat.

The Highline is a beautifully architectural park converted from an old above ground train track.
It's the trendy place to take visitors now-a-days, but it was simply the chance to sit that led Kerny and I there. Luckily for us, it turned into quite an adventure as she LOVED IT!

Rewind-
::(Quickly! I had visited the Highline only one other time and it was the summer of 2010 when Tony and Mike Marcus were visiting Diddz and we did have a blast, but the park was only opened for about 10 blocks worth. The rest was under construction and we were only there for a short time, but the boys still managed to get a few good shots of Diddz and I throughout that day and I will proceed to place them here since I didn't have a blog back then...
These photos start outside of brunch by Diddy's house, then at the Highline, then at Fryin' Pan, and finally back home to my comfort pose... twirling my dread. I was so comfortable in fact, that I even agreed to assume the position in front of the boys. And Yelz, who didn't know me so well at the time, caught us in the act. 
I remember we ordered pizza in that night and when the boys stepped out to grab some wine for the crew, they got me my very own beverage so I didn't feel left out... some coconut water. Which I HATED and tried to fake, but couldn't! They're the sweetest, those two! You'll remember Tony from this post. Now let's fast forward back to 2012 and the post about Kerny's birthday in the city)::
Fast Forward-

The Highline.
This time at least 20 more blocks worth of park had opened up and we walked about that many before getting tired and wrapping it up.
Cooling off by getting her feet wet in the inch-deep-infinity-pool-sidewalk.
Yep that's a thing.
Overlooking traffic and where we ate, Artichoke.

I love taking pics of strangers. Like, love.


Another look-out spot.

Street art.

On Sunday, we attempted to go to the beach, but Kerny got very distracted once she started to carve a piece of wax for a ring setting she has a diamond to set in. She lit into balling because she was so happy to be doing it and we immediately nixed the beach... however we managed to stay in our swimsuits for hours and then sent this picture to someone who texted us asking, "How's the beach?"

In her happy place...
The start of the wax carving:
Progress:
The next thing on her bday todo list was B&N. While there, Laura called and invited us to Central Park to wait in line for tickets to Sondeim in the Park's Into the Woods starring Amy Adams.
If we got tickets, Lu and I would be 2 for 2 on Shakespeare in the Park for 2012 and would consider it a win of a summer for that fact alone.
Here we are sitting pretty, waiting for tickets (on my new blanket that folds up into a bag and I LOVE).
We got in! Stopped for food at concessions and headed to our seats for our usual illegal photos.
My most favorite thing about the show was the Witch aka Rapunzel's mother (played by the same actress who does the voice of the mother in Tangled) and her amazing wardrobe, hair (dreads), hands and crutches. She was stunningly beautiful beneath it all and had an great voice which made her even more impressive.
The stars (via google images):
It was good.
The second act took a dark turn and it was very long, but I'm glad we saw it...
if only it could've ended at intermission!

At some point that weekend, and I cant remember when, we stopped on our walk home for Kerny to chat it up with Prince William. 
Princess Kerny has a nice ring to it, no?
It sounds british!
Well, you're definitely royalty in my book Kerny and I'll kiss your feet any old day or time... actually, make that your hands. I'd kiss your hands any old time! 
And I'll kiss your face always.
I love you and happy HAPPY birthday! 
If only we could all look so good at 51.
Love,
~Legs*

0 comments:

Post a Comment