Sunday, March 11, 2012

9/11 Memorial

I've been wanting to see the 9/11 memorial since it opened back in September, at the 10yr anniversary of the tragedy. As previously written, I tried to go a few weeks back but was unaware of the "rules." There are closing hours and you have to make reservations. So the week after I learned the hard way, we had a girls day which included the girls, the memorial, and of course, brunch.
We started with brunch, brown sugar cubed coffee, and Crystal (seen here with Diddz).
But then we parted ways and Diddz, Sandra, and I went to the memorial sans Crys.

Summary: 
I HIGHLY recommend it.
As beautiful and serene as the fountains themselves are, standing in the exact place of the World Trade Centers and with their bases made of melted steel from the original buildings/rubble, I think I equally loved the visitors center. Please note, this site is still under construction so maybe my favorite thing will be the museum once it's completed, but for now, I liked the visitors center. Also, the fountains I keep referring to, are technically called "reflective pools." The fountains are beautiful and as I said before, surprisingly somber and serene - especially considering you're standing outside, in a construction zone, in the financial district, of new york city - but there are NO signs to read, no facts, details, particulars or info on what you're looking at... yet anyway. Maybe that's still in the works too. 

The two pools are surrounded by the names of the nearly 3000 victims and there is a way to look up loved ones in order to find where on the fountains they're located.

The Freedom Towers (the buildings that will be replacing the twin towers in function, above) are still works in progress as well, but so far, they are BEAUTIFUL and poetically reflective. You can see them in the background of some of these pictures as well as the soon to be museum which will hold lots of cool artifacts like the famous cross beams that were left standing in the rubble among other things.
Here we are, as Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau from "Grumpy Old Men,"
 trying to peek into the unfinished museum.

What a peaceful way to spend a Sunday in the city!
Cant wait to take the sweet Kern next time she comes to visit. She'll lit like crazy!
Love,
Legs*

0 comments:

Post a Comment