Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Sunday in the park with Kern

I love it when Kerny comes to town! She was here last month for her Spring break and we rallied like only her and I know how. Boy, did we rally! And what I mean by that is, she slept in everyday while I worked, we TJ Maxx'ed it like a boss, and walked around and enjoyed the perfect weather that is Springtime in NYC.
Even without seeing any shows, doing any museums/exhibits, or really spending any big amounts of monies, Kerny got to knock a few things off of her NY bucket list. 
For instance, instead of taking the bus to the Maxx per usual, we walked through the park and she finally caught the view from the Jackie O Reservoir. How she hadn't done this before is beyond me. It's the part of Central Park closest to my apartment. We went right around sunset and I snapped these great shots of her balancing along the edge of the water.

Saturday is our typical flea market day.
Typically, at our favorite flea market, we do NOT see a woman walking her pet turtles in a stroller, but on this particular Saturday, we did. And it was our treat.

The jewelry flea market on the UES is our treasure haven. Also, our version of heaven.
Here's the Kern in her element. Or as my friend Andrew put it, "A Kern in her natural habitat."
We stopped by Kent's basketball game for a hot second; just long enough for him to hit on both me and my mother, in true KBIII form, and then went on our way to Kerny's most longed adventure.
The Brooklyn Bridge.
Later on, after some GOOGLE MAGIC, we (Connor and Kerny) discovered that the locks we'd seen hung along the bridge, symbolize everlasting love. It's an italian tradition of sweethearts locking up their hearts and throwing away the key (into the river). Google it. Kerny melted over it. Especially since she'd had me take this picture of her favorite one on our walk.
Once in Bk, we trekked over to the Brooklyn Flea because neither of us had ever been, but we'd both heard really good things. Of course, we loved it immediately, but by this time we were starving so... naturally we splint a 'traveling brick oven' pizza from a cart and sat on the stairs of the Bk Flea to people watch and make new friends, furry and otherwise.
We topped off our Bk experience with some grilled corn.
This was Kerny's first parm/chilli grilled corn and... drum roll please... she LOVED it!
We grabbed our favorite cupcakes on the way home and luckily were greeted by these sweaty softball fools who wanted to do nothing more than watch Aladdin, paint fingernails, and google 'love locks.'
Kent and Connor, ladies and gentlemen.
Kent. And Connor.

Because Kerny nearly has a nervous breakdown on her parting day here, each visit, we kept it low key come Sunday.
A little Sunday afternoon in the park never hurt anybody.
Not them. 

Not him.

Not us.

My new favorite Spring outfit is my polk-a-dot dress and striped sneakers.
And my even more favorite is this same look with my tan wedges... Which I wore later that same day to Hilary's bridal shower and got a GAzillion compliments by a few swanky midtown momma's. If only they knew the dress was $16 from the Maxx, my jacket was from Goodwill, and my heels were $20 at Strawberry... their dog's leashes were more expensive than my whole outfit top to bottom. Fact.

My blog post > Kerny's blog post on this weekend....
She writes everything on a sketch pad she carries in her purse.
Seriously?
Love her to pieces!
Hopefully she's not disappointed when she pays an arm and a leg to come visit me and I make her listen to me sing broadway show tunes til 3AM each night.
Also, let the record show that my favorite moment form the weekend was on Thursday night around 3:40AM when after talking & laughing in bed for a few hours, Kerny drifted off to sleep and immediately awoke herself from sleep-crying and thoroughly freaked me out. Then we couldn't stop laughing and laughed about it the rest of the weekend. You had to be there. Or not.
I live for these visits. I couldn't stop looking at our pictures for a week afterwards... until I left for the wedding of the year in Utah and made brand new awesome memories that I couldn't stop instantly reminiscing over and am still doing so.
Can you guess what my next post will be about?

Love,
~Kare*

1 comments:

Rae said...

I love everything about this post; the turtles in a stroller, the stories, the love locks, everything. You are adorable, as is Kern, and I can't believe you live so close to the reservoir! It's my happy place.

Post a Comment