In time of crisis.
After getting into the Christmas spirit MUCH too early this year, I became very much a Scrooge once the 'ToDo' list surrounding the holidays started building. So much so, that it was resulting in a full blown melt down come last Sunday night.
Monday afternoon, after rushing home from work, I walked into the street-front doors of my apt building, and was checking my mail when there was a booming and banging coming from the outside door. I turned to see why the UPS guy would be banging with such intensity when I saw, on the other side of the vestibule, no UPS guy, but instead my sweet dad; standing there with his luggage, a backpack, and a bouquet of flowers.
What a surprise!
Although I still had 2 separate work parties to attend, a concert to see, and a TON more other stuff to do, and he had business in Boston all of Tuesday, we still got in some quality time, some good eats, and a broadway show before he headed back home.
And although his visit didn't lighten the load, it did make me realize what is REALLY important this holiday season. Spending time with the ones you love.
All the other stuff is just fluff. But fluff is pretty great too so rather than become the Grinch next year, I should just remember to not sweat the small stuff, do the best I can, and enjoy it.
Or at least just stick it out until I can get home to Va.
My Dad's visit reminded me of the lesson learned long long ago, from 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'...
"Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."

"Welcome Christmas. Bring your cheer. Cheer to all Whos far and near.
Christmas day is in our grasp. So long as we have hands to clasp.
Christmas day will always be. Just as long as we have we.
Welcome Christmas while we stand. Heart to heart and hand in hand."
Merry Christmas!
Love,
~Kare*
(De-Grinchified)


0 comments:
Post a Comment