Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The 27th

This scowl has graced the beaches on North Carolina for the 27th year in a row.

This year, on my birthday, I took a flight home late after work, slept for 5 hours, woke up and drove down to Corolla with the parentals and the cutest little Pup-Kern you ever did see.
I love the outer banks!
LOOOVE.
I pine for summers of old when, as a child, friends and I would take over the Keeter's cottage at the 2 milepost and play gift shop under the glass coffee table with vintage metal monopoly pieces. To this day, I've never played the game of monopoly, but I still LOVE it for that cute little metal iron. My other favorite thing was playing Saved by the Bell in the outdoor shower (pictured above in the background - it was a fight to the death to get to be Kelly Kapowski). And the sound of that wooden door slapping against the latch in the wind is definitely one of my top three favorite sounds of all time.
We'd do The Tootsie Roll on the deck bench and play "football" in the waves where I almost drowned once. Or at least that's my memory of it.
Later in life, I enjoyed girls weekends with Mom and Ro-berta to Ro's beach house at the 9.5 milepost. They were frequent and relaxing. The stormy, cold weekends were always the best because they led to a few goldmines in the thrifting department. To this day, one of my favorite thrift stores is A Penny Saved at the 6 milepost.
In 2008, Corolla is where I met and got to know a majority of my New York friends (some of whom are now Utah or Cali friends - TRADERS) and even a few extra's like Sammy Grant!
And if you've never been to a Wings, well... bless your heart.
Point is, I love the OBX.
And now, so does Gringo.

The beginning of the trip was filled with guilty pleasures as Dad let me go to my fave thrift store first thing and I got the MOP, coral, onyx, & turquoise treasure you see below. He got Duck Donuts and Mom got to "treasure hunt" on the beach. We cooked out at sunset, walked at sunrise, and the girls (+ Dad) played cards and we all swam ALL day... from the ocean, straight to the pool. Gringo made friends and before each meal, they plotted how to bribe us with their cuteness for table food.

Here is a montage of pictures and pup-tures from our weekend in the OBX - Thanks to the Rhodes for housing us and supplying the homemade Heath Bar Cheesecake, Duck Donuts, and puppy love.

Btw, this is the art deco gem that I described a few posts back - that I bought at the flea market with Kerny.

Because I left straight from work to head to the airport on the day of my birthday, I wasn't there to get the package that came to my door... and sat outside in the non-airconditioned hallway for 5days.
Joey was sweet enough to send me flowers, but by the time I got to them (or rather my neighbor got to them) they were fried. It's the thought that counts and I displayed them even still. Thanks Joe!

It's as if I LOVE my birthday (which I absolutely do not) because coming up next... my NYC birthday celebration.

Late twenties, here I am.
Love,
~Legs*

0 comments:

Post a Comment