"I want to sparkle like a sexy baby on toddlers and tiaras."
That's how the conversation went regarding my attire for the Beyonce concert. Laura probably wanted to break up with me at that very moment - I dont believe she realized what she'd gotten herself into by inviting me along to the aforementioned, sold out, Beyonce concert! I believe Beyonce had this same request though... I'm sure of it. Just look at that dress!
I dont think I mentioned it in the last post, but tickets to this concert, "An Intimate Night with Beyonce," started out at $350 and sold out in 22 seconds. It was to be at the Roseland Ballroom which is TINY in comparison to the venues B usually sells out... like Madison Square Garden.
The Roseland holds something like 3000 people where MSG seats I think 175,000... I dont know. Dont quote me on those numbers, but let's just say it's a big difference and it was a privilege for Lu to think of me when she got the email offering her tickets. I'm a lucky girl!
Here's a shocker: turns out, I may love B more than Jay which was surprising even to me, but it's true. Granted when I went back stage at Jay-Z, it all happened so fast [I'm lounging in my underwear (per usual) when I get the text from Sam to "hustle down to MSG... there's a sticky-pass @ the employee entrance with your name on it."] that I had no time for build up. Knowing that I was going to the Beyonce concert had me on clouds for DAYS leading up to the main event! I even canceled on my plans to be home for my sweet Mamma's 50th Birthday (and 'The Worst Daughter Ever Award' goes to...), but in the words of my sweet Dad, "Karen, you'll be her mother everyday for the rest of her life. Beyonce only comes around once in a lifetime." True Dad. Harsh, but true.
Can I just say that this concert was everything I'd hoped it would be and more! She (Beyonce, duh) started with a little background info on her life and career, which meant Destiny's Child, which of course meant she sang a bit of my adolescence. All of the oldies (but goodies)... like... Yeah Yeah Yeah, Say My Name, Bills Bills Bills, Independent Woman, Bootylicious, Survivor. I was a mad woman! A crazed fan, singing every word as if it were still 1998.
Then she moseyed on into her solo career which included Me & My Boyfriend (her first collabo w/J... swoon), and an AMAZE rendition of Crazy in Love that killed me and then brought be back to life again with booty-pops. You know, kinda like how Tinkerbell is brought back to life with clapping (on the stage version anyway), Beyonce slowed down the intro and made it all melty and gooey 'til I died. Then came the chorus and the booty-pops and BOOM! I'm alive! You don't understand, or maybe you do, that I LIVED for the Dangerously in Love album as a teenager... and still kinda do! She then went onto Bday and let the audience sing practically every word of Irreplaceable... she maybe sang two words. And then she showed us her 4th album which was all unfamiliar to me (except Who Run the World). My faves were a song with a little Chi-Lites sample and a second, totally fun, retro-funk/motown, dance song. Then I kinda loved Countdown too, which I believe is what she ended the show with if my memory serves me correctly.
Sometimes it is almost just as fun getting ready for nights like this as the night itself. Laura and I tried different hairstyles, outfits, jewels, and heels, before deciding on our final looks. You know I'm going somewhere when I bust out the iron. I dont even iron for weddings.
BTW, at an "intimate" beyonce concert is not the best time to tell your girlfriend that you have a crazy fancy digital SLR camera that you "just never take out anymore". I'm an idiot.
(Click on those to be larger)
Lady Gaga showed up a little before the show started and when the DJ started playing her music, she was dancing and waving to the crowd like a good sport.
She's Lady Gaga, right? So of course she showed up in a HUUUUUUUGE Miss Muffet hat. I call it that because it looked like the tuffet Ms. Muffet sat on. Or a push pin cushion. She was on the balcony with us (ahem... and all the other VIPs, NBD). As soon as the show started, the Gags politely took her hat off - probably so the people behind her could see - and enjoyed the show with the rest of us. She was standing on her stool and fist-pumping like the little guidette that she is. Beat that beat, Gaga. Seriously, she was just as much a fan as anyone.
Other attendees were JHud, Kanye, and Jay-Z, however, I didnt see any of them. I did see Duffy who is just as dimply and wide-smiled as you'd expect her to be. Seriously stunning, that one.
Thank you Lu for taking me!!! It was the perfect New York City night for one of the most exciting events of all time with one of my best girlfriends! Be warned, I will possibly never be able to return the favor being as nothing this cool ever happens in dentistry.
Love,
~Kare*
P.S. Photo credits are a majority due to Laura seeing as my point and shoot was taking terrible pics and I didnt bring out "the big gun."
0 comments:
Post a Comment