Sunday, January 23, 2011

An Ode to Perkes...

and the rest of my weekend.

Michael James Perkes always points out when I create a Facebook album without a photo of his money-maker in it and since my latest album is Perkes-less, I'll blog about him and his sad departure from the big city instead.
A change in positions at work takes Perkes to the Alamo state to live it up in "The Big D". The ladies in Dallas, Texas better be prepared to get swept off their feet.

I met Mikey J on a last minute trip with mutual friends to Atlantic City in August of 2008. Since then, we've celebrated 3 christmas's, 2 birthdays each, been in 1 wedding together, and he's baked approximately 57 whole cheesecakes (from scratch) for me to devoir. Without a doubt, he makes for the BEST friend you could ever ask for.

I'm thankful for Mike because:
  • He lets me join the '6pack' for lunch even though I'm a girl.
  • He leaves work "early" (9PM) during busy season to rent a zip-car, get lost in the financial district for 2hours, then move my new 500lb tile dinner table and chairs into my apt on the UES, and go BACK to work.
  • Did I mention he makes cheesecake? From scratch? Often? And shares?
  • He all too often treats me to dinner and amazing conversation.
  • He ALWAYS makes sure I get home safely no matter the means of transportation, time of day, or night.
  • He gives me a 'father's blessing' when I'm in the midst of a meltdown and my Dad is no where near New York City. Then he doesn't tell anyone I cried. A lot.
  • He never walks away from a roulette table down.
  • He gives good advice, is non-judgemental, and always sets a good example by doing what he knows is right. No matter what.
  • He lets me shop during our QT together including the NYC Christmas Fair, Anthropology, and vintage jewelry shopping at Pippin (my fave).
  • He takes me to the Chelsea market for brownies at Fat Witch Bakery where the unwrapped brownies are half off after 5:30PM.
  • And maybe he sometimes gets choked up at girly chick-flicks.

To celebrate (? - celebrate seems a strong word... more like mourn) Mike's departure, there was a goodbye dinner for him at 4food in midtown on Friday night. Although I took no pictures to prove it, there was an IMMENSE turnout of Perkes-lovers come to see him off. No one seemed to want to leave even after 3 hours of eating and talking (I'm not surprised - we're a like minded bunch, those who love Perkes). We were all so excited to see each other and happy to catch up, but couldn't it have been on different terms?!
Cheers to Mike! Thanks for leaving your mark on my NYC experience and beyond! See you in Dallas buddy - if I don't see you in VA first! Love ya!



In other weekend news, Cole and I went to Goodwill in Harlem - probably our favorite Saturday morning activity. Then we started 'Sunday Funday' early on Saturday afternoon and didn't leave (other than for coffee the next morning) until Sunday night. Needless to say, the boys had more than their fair share of us!

~Kare*

0 comments:

Post a Comment